Thursday, August 27, 2009

One Giant Step...

Grad School.

After 8 years in the work force, I'm back in school (while still maintaining the day job). Despite the new academic black hole that's swallowing my time, my Tuesday and Thursday nights (goodbye Two-for-Tuesday wing specials and Thursday night football) and the recurrence of a childhood nightmare, homework, I'm energized. Shocking. The first few classes have been conducted in an engaging manner with an emphasis on function, practicality and implementation instead of theory, the aging cadaver most students hone their skills with. Or the upper might be this attempt at a bribe by the MIT department.


iPhone. Awesome. Drool (which won't damage the phone. Tested and passed!).

If my third grade teacher taught math with a Gameboy, I might be an engineer right now.

Even database programming is fun when you're told a goal is to create an app for the iPhone.

Actually, database programming, and programming in general, is similar to editing, which I do at my job. The premise of crafting a language to follow a specific set of rules and syntax is an easy concept. Learning the language is the difficult part.

So let's hope the MIT program goes better for me than Conversational French. Despite the high resale value, that text book made a great effigy at a Christmas party in college.

Then again, French III didn't come with an iPhone.

1 comments:

Dr. P said...

Great start. I like the humor as well. To be truthful, I'm not above bribing students to enjoy a course as long as it forwards the goal of learning.

Post a Comment